Friday, December 4, 2009

Natural Toiletries

So, I'm forever on a quest to find natural, homemade ways to do away with store-bought, toxic, chemical-ridden household supplies.  Cleaning supplies and toiletries are at the top of my list.  Recently I've begun making some home-made toiletries that are super easy, and super cheap!  And dare I say, even BETTER than the store bought stuff.  I love sharing this stuff, and I love it when I have converts.  So, if you become a convert, please do share. 

1) Toothpaste:  I've been using baking soda.  Yep.  That's it.  I keep a jar of it on my bathroom counter because I use it for most of my homemade cleaning supplies, and also for shampoo for my husband (I'll get to that later).  I wet my toothbrush, then dip it in the baking soda, and voila!  Brusha brusha, and you've got yourself a nice, natural, whitening, halitosis-ending toothpaste!  (I think this must have been the way they did it in the olden days, before Tom of Maine was around).  I'll admit, the taste takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not that bad.  And I like knowing I'm not putting anything unknown into my mouth, or ingesting it....especially that mind-altering stuff, fluoride.

2) Deodorant:  OK, this one is fun!  I recently read someone's recipe for deodorant, and made some myself.  It's 1:1 ratio of distilled water (I used tap) and hydrogen peroxide.  Plus about seven drops of Lavender Essential Oil (EO), and seven drops of Tea Tree Oil (TTO).  The Lavender and TTO have antibacterial properties, so they are good to use on those stinky pits.  Depending on the amount of liquid you are making, you'd want to adjust your drops of EOs up or down.  They make it smell lovely.  I put the ingredients in a spray bottle, and spray it on in the mornings. 

Buuuut....I've been using the above recipe for a couple days, and I'm pretty stinky by the end of the day. So, I'll be changing my recipe to the concoction I mixed up tonight:


1/4 cup baking soda (that glorious thing I use in EVERYTHING.  Ok, maybe not, but close.)
1/4 cup cornstarch
about 4 tablespoons coconut oil (maybe more, maybe less.  Just adjust to the consistency you like)
Tea Tree and Lavender EOs

 For those of you who don't know of the wonders of coconut oil, maybe I'll devote a blog to that someday soon, but in the meantime, here's a little factoid:  it has a melting point of 76 degrees Fahrenheit.  So, in my house right now, it's solid stuff.  I had to heat it up to get it liquid to make my concoction.


I put it in a small mason jar, and have it on my counter to rub on my pitsos tomorrow morning.  I'm really excited.  (Is that weird?)  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm just excited to not be putting another mind-altering substance into my body.....aluminum

3) Lotion:  Coconut Oil.  Yep.  That's it! (again).  I've ditched the Lubriderm that I've been addicted to for over a decade, and tried this wonderful thing called Coconut Oil.  I've been using it on my face as a facial moisturizer for a while (and loving it!), and I decided to start on my whole body.  I filled a little jar I bought at Wal-mart for $1.97 with some coconut oil, and I keep it in the shower.  I oil myself up after each shower, and feel soooo silky smooth.  Plus, there's the added benefit of smelling all tropical.  Like I just stepped off the plane from Hawaii.  Yum.  It also helps heal scars, and is good for mitigating eczema.  It can be used as a personal lubricant (that's natural, and won't burn!), for yeast infections (is this TMI?), and even is used by some for weight loss!  I know it sounds crazy, and very counter-intuitive, but it's true. 

4) Anti-dandruff:  Apple Cider Vinegar.  I've been doing this one for a few months.  Every time I start getting itchy scalp, I douse my head in some ACV, sleep with it on for one night, and the next morning the flakes are gone, the itching has ceased, and I'm back to normal.  It's such a cheap, easy way to fix this issue that I do not enjoy having.

5) Shampoo and Conditioner:  Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV).  So this is not one I'm doing myself, but I've gotten my hubby to do it.  I fill up a plastic katsup bottle type thing I got at Wal-mart for $.97 with 2 tablespoons Baking Soda and 2 cups water.  Shake it up, and pour it on. Hubby works it into his scalp.  Then he rinses with the other ketchup bottle filled with ACV.  One tip I've heard about is to not put the ACV directly on your scalp (unless you are doing the anti-dandruff thing mentioned above, and are going to wash your hair in the morning).  It will make your scalp produce more oils, and you'll be a grease-ball all day.  So, just rinse your hair with it.  I'm no expert, and this homemade toiletry still needs some work and figuring out, but I thought I'd mention it, in case anyone wants to go "poo free". 

If all of this sounds daunting to you, I completely understand.  My husband and I talked for MONTHS about making our own cleaning supplies.  We just felt like it was a big step.  We also weren't sure it would work, and we kinda didn't know how to do it (well, we had recipes, but they required collecting empty bottles and such, so it was too much work).  Once we decided to take that huge leap, and mix 1 part water with 1 part vinegar to make our all-purpose cleaner (Whew!  Glad that's over!), we realized it is waaay easier than putting it on the shopping list, searching for it at the store, and bringing it home.  Not only is is time-saving, but most of our homemade cleaners cost pennies compared to the dollars that we spent on commercial ones.  The same is true with our homemade toiletries.  So, I just want to say, "YOU CAN DO IT!"  If this sounds at all fun or exciting to start making your own stuff, I encourage you to set aside 20 minutes to sit down, read the directions, find your empty containers, and get yourself set-up to do it.  I think you'll be glad you did.  We sure were.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! I clicked on this link from FB and i thought it was a friend of yours site...only to read thru most of it and see your pic on the bottom right! That's awesome! you can can check out a blog I wrote on our site (www.KCandJonathan.com) this year has been a huge year for me personally realizing the chemicals we use etc. We found some Dr. Bronners here and I've ditched the chemical cleaners and looking forward to going home and getting more options for shampoos etc AND i want to have a green cleaning party where the guests get to make their own stuff (i think there is a website that helps you).
    Thanks for your suggestions. Please let us know how the deodorant goes. I'll be keeping tabs on your site now that i know it. :) -kc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great ideas! I have used an essential oil based cleanser for years and love it. It has Geranium in it to make it smell fabulous. I have a concentrate bottle that last me a year easily. Also, since you are loving home remedies you can try Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) sold at most health food stores. It is a strong antibacterial (and is the basic reason that citrus cannot be put in compost) and I use it in juice when I start to feel sick It has been so effective at killing whatever bacteria is slowing me down :) It can also be used as an antibacterial cleaner as well when several drops are put in water.
    It is supposed to be 10x more powerful that Tea tree when used as internal citracidal or in the surface cleaning capacity.
    Let me know if you can't find any up there and I just pop some in the mail for Xmas :)

    Enjoy your clean pits and keep us posted on how that formula works out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah! love all the recipes, so thorough.. if anyone asks what I use, i'll send them strait to your blog! I've been using CO for deodorant for about 6 mos and LOVE it... I started out rubbing CO on the pits and then a dust of BS.. then got lazy about the BS. but lately, I've been stinky and need to add the BS back. Tried mixing them for a while, but it burned. I like the katsup bottle idea in the shower, i've been using a glass bottle for diluted ACV and worry about dropping it. and the BS for the hair, i liked it.. but don't you feel it tons of work? and it ruined my already ruined nails. Oh, and for the teeth, i did BS for a while and was even using plain ol Dr. Brommer's or bar soap, but finally got Eric on the bandwagon with Eco-Dent tooth powder. the stuff is amazing! and one teeny bottle last almost a year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pitsos are doing fabulously, ladies, I am happy to report. They smell so
    pretty. I emptied out an old tube of deodorant, and filled it with my concoction, and it's super easy to apply. I'm never going back. :-)

    Steph, I do have some GSE, but I've been a little scared off about using it because of some things I've been reading lately about it. I think the
    jury is still out on it in some people's opinion, so I'm hessitant. But garlic works wonderfully for many of the same things, and I love using garlic for home remedies!

    Annabelle-the BS thing is not too much work because I only do it for Mark, and he doesn't use much. I only have to fill it every couple of weeks. :-)

    KC-tht party sounds fun! I have tons of recipes for homemade cleaning supplies, if you ever need any. I make all my own cleaning supplies. :-) Even laundry detergent, which is really fun (I think). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally get rid of fat by consuming coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete